First, in case you were wondering about the title of the post, I got to go to a taping of Jeopardy last Saturday (Potpourri is the "random" "multi topic" category on the show)! I know, exciting! We were way in the back, but still, how often do you get to see Alex Trebek (even if he does seem half an inch tall)?! Unfortunately, cameras were not allowed inside, but I have a picture of the ticket:

And I know who wins the college championship this year, but I'm not telling (you can watch May 15th and 16th :o)).
Second thing that's been muddling around in my mind is how I miss Germany. I've kind of compiled a list of the things I miss about Germany and the stuff that is good about the US (Madison to be specific). Hopefully this html coding will work... hahah...
| Things I miss about Germany | Things I like the US |
| Paprika Pringles | A full size kitchen! |
| Haribo Happy Cherries | Driving to the grocery store |
| Markets | Large washing machines/dryers |
| The Old World feel | Cream of ____ soups |
| Being able to go on short trips to really cool places | Bisquick |
| Sidewalk Cafes | Being closer to family |
| Döner Kebap | Readily available hand-dyed yarn |
| Trains | Free refills on drinks! |
| Cheap (good!!!) beer/chocolate/Nutella | Stuff is open on Sunday! And after 3pm on Saturdays! |
| Hasselinos/Käse Spätzle/all the other food that would make this list really long | I'm running out of ideas ;o) |
| Beer Festivals | Really... ummm... |
| The money (different sizes and colors) | ... |
This list leads into my Blogoversary Contest (I bolded that so those skimming would notice :o)). A year ago I was living in Germany. It was interesting trying to live and integrate myself into a new culture, especially since I knew in the back of my mind that it was temporary. But I learned to love certain things about life there, and miss certain things about life here. So my question to you is about your travels/moving around. Is there something that you miss about where you lived before? Something you love about where you are now? Leave your response in the comments and you will be entered to win 2 skeins of yarn... one bought here in the States, and one bought in Germany! If you post about this on your blog you will get a second entry in the drawing (leave a comment say you posted about it) and one entry for anyone who comes and says they saw it on your blog! Anyone may enter... I will ship anywhere in the world :o). Here's what you could win:

(Click for larger Picture. It's a skein of Jitterbug in the Blue Parrot colorway, and some ONLine sock yarn. Both have been in a cat friendly home... we can work something out if this is an issue and you win)
I look forward to hearing about your memories! Deadline is midnight CDT Wednesday April 30th!



14 comments:
When I was a child, we lived in an urban area, near two commuter train tracks and a busy intersection. The "music" of the trains and cars was always an interesting part of my daily landscape...til we moved to a very quiet town. The first night, I couldn't sleep! The silence frightened me! Can you imagine the irony of being unable to sleep in peace and quiet? It was then I knew I was destined to always be a city a girl...until I vacationed in Hawaii. I love Maui and miss how laidback it is. I wish the city could be so calm and stress free.
The only move I've made since I was old enough to remember has been the one between home and university, and that's one I keep making because I move home again for the summer. It's also one within the same province, so there's really not a lot of difference - certainly not the same as moving between countries. The thing I miss the most when I'm at school is my family, and that's probably not the kind of difference you were thinking of. There's also an urban/rural split, though. I miss having it be really dark and quiet at night (that never happens in the city).
hey spring swap pal,
i have travelled loads and what i miss most is the excitement of new places and getting to know new people, perhaps thats why i love swaps so much.I tend to get itchy feet when i stay in the same place for too long.the places i have travelled too also have much nicer weather and when im travelling i dont generally have to work!!
sadly my travelling days are now reduced to holidays!!!!
Hi!
Where did you spend your year in Germany? I know, it does suck that shops are closed in Germany on Sundays... Well, but there's some good beer to enjoy. ;-)
Greetings,
Siga (from Heidelberg)
Happy Blogoversary!
I've lived in NJ all my life, most of it at the central NJ coast. And I like it here. For one reason...the beach! I live 1/2 mile from it, and even though I can't walk on the sand and more, I can at least see it.
Happy Blog Anniversary:)
I blogged about your contest hope it sends a lot of friendly folks your way.Here is my answers to the questions:Is there something that you miss about where you lived before?
I miss being near my older kids and my grandson and my friends in Idaho Something you love about where you are now?
I love the fun places to go in California and the famous people you can run into and it is so much fun and my knitting group is awesome my friends here keep me in stitches.lol
Happy Blogoversary!
I just had to think about your things that you appreciated about Germany. And I kept wondering, what I like about this country. I come originally from Lithuania, have spent my past seven years in Germany. And I've spent a year in the US and another one in the UK.
About my country: I miss my family most. And a bit the past - you know, high school, friends and so on...
About the US: I miss chocolate fudge cake and chocolate chip cookies! ;-)
About England: I miss this freaking polite Britishness.
About Germany: I do appreciate neatness ("Ordnung") and safety I live in here.
There you go, I have a list as well.
I've been reading your blog via Stashalong for a while now, but I confess, you've struck a chord with me! I've moved around a lot, from the US to Bulgaria to the UK. With the US, I was very young when I moved away, so there's little besides food that I miss. I miss good steak, though! And Kraft instant Mac 'n' Cheese (I know, I'm a barbarian), and I miss my family.
Bulgaria is always going to be home, and I miss a lot more from there. I miss incredibly fresh fruit and vegetables for next to nothing all the time, I miss the weather, I miss having a balcony. I miss decent beer and duner kebabs that have been seasoned the way I like. And bus station pizza with chubritsa (a Bulgarian spice blend).
But I love living in London too! I love the fact that I've lived here for 6 years and find something new every week. I love the theatres and museums and galleries and the yarn shops. I love that in under 2 hours I can get on a train or an airplane to pretty much anywhere in the world!
Happy Blogiversary!
I've moved a few times in my life, mostly around the same state. When I finished college I moved out to the East Coast for a year and loved it. The place where I lived was so full of history and it seemed like everything was so close. People traveled a lot more out there than they did back home. I miss that. I then moved to the Midwest where I live now. It was a big difference because I moved into the city/suburbs whereas before I had almost always lived in rural places.
Happy Happy Blogiversary!
I recently moved from Austin, TX to Athens, GA, and while I miss Austin, I love the feel of the real South. I never understood what people meant when they said "You'll feel like Scarlet O'Hara's sidekick," but I do know. There's something old and stately about this part of the country, and I like it.
Aw, don't want you feeling lonely, so I'll enter too. One thing I miss about the place I used to live was the beautiful biking trails that meandered through a beautiful river valley. I used to ride them at least twice a week. You could go from one end of town to the other and never see "civilization" - LOL! It was seriously beautiful. Happy blogiversary!
Happy blogiversary!
I moved from Washington state last August, to Connecticut (not quite around the world.. but to the opposite coast!) I miss a ton of things, but I do love it here in CT too. Some things I miss: Being 10 minutes away from my family, seeing the mountains poke up in the sky off in the distance... along with all the other beautiful Pacific Northwest scenery. Some things I have grown to love here: My job, being 5 minutes away from a handful of different beaches and parks, and being able to drive through streets lined with gorgeous mansions and dream! lol
Good luck with your contest!
-krystle
I've never moved, hence no comment before. So no anecdotes of what I miss because it's still here :)
But thought I would comment to register as a regular reader so you don't feel like no-one's out there. And to say happy blogoversary of course!!!
Here are a few favorite local/cultural things that I love:
*taro flavored things (especially ice cream) - I discovered that I love this flavor last year in Hong Kong, but it isn't something I have been able to find much of here in the states (even at the Asian markets)
*German bread - Seriously, why can't I get German bread outside of Germany? I love it, so I am glad we have family in Germany as an excuse to visit and eat lots.
*really fresh seafood - I grew up less than a km from the ocean and didn't know what trucked in seafood was like until I was an adult. Color me not impressed. When I want lobster or local fish I still go visit my parents, where there is a nearby fish shack that sells the day's catch.
Post a Comment