Thursday, May 17, 2007

Venice! (and Yarn and Knitting of course..)

Hey!

Venice was great! Well... good. Venice would have been better if had been me and my boyfriend. Or me and anyone but just my brother who thinks a trip to Europe involves sleeping 15 hours a day and once you've seen one canal/bridge you've seen them all. Sigh. C'est la vie.

Anyways, a few pictures (ok, LOTS of pictures... sorry) for your enjoyment.

A view of Venice from the plane. This was taken on the way back, but I figured it was a nice picture to start out the whole "Venice" picture thing with.

Yum. Cappuccino and a chocolate croissant like thing for breakfast. (That is my brother's hand and plain croissant-- boys don't appreciate chocolate--in the background)

Piazza San Marco (AKA St. Mark's Square) from a water bus.

A self-portrait* from St. Mark's Basillica over-looking the square. (*Yes, I had to take a self-portrait because my brother decided that 2 minutes was long enough to look at a famous square.)

Canals are pretty....

Really... they are pretty!

Rialto Bridge over the Grand Canal with some gondolas... from a water bus. I know, I'm talented.

The nearby island of Murano is famous for its glass. Below is a picture of someone making a part of a chandelier.

Glass Christmas tree.. in May. But it's pretty!

Close up on the tree.

And now for some knitting... my Snicket Socks managed to come with me! Here they are by a canal in Venice while I was out wandering about after my brother decided to take a 3 hour nap in the afternoon of our 1.5 days in Venice. Sigh. But it turned out OK because it started to rain while I was out (the only rain we had) and on the other side of this bridge I just happened to pop into a store that sold yarn. And I bought some. By the time I was done (only 20 minutes or so) it had stopped raining. I'm pretty sure that was a sign that me and this yarn were meant to be. More about the yarn later.

Yummy pesto and some yummy wine. I had to drink the whole half bottle by myself because it was the smallest size of wine they sold (no glasses!) and my brother didn't want any (sigh again).

Fish stand outside our hotel.. it was really colorful!

New knitting bags! So now I'm up to 5. I already had Germany, Austria and Paris. My boyfriend (C as you recall me naming him... yet I haven't really used it) bought me the Luxembourg one because we had been there before I began collecting the bags and he lived only 30 minutes south by train when he was in France. I bought the Italy one on the trip.

The 2 pretty balls of 40% mohair and 60% Dralon (R) ?? by a company called Tropical Lane. The line is Follie di Colore and it's a blue/purple (more purple than it looks in the pictures). It's really soft and nice.. and was only a little more than $5 for 50g/150m (if that's not a good deal, please don't tell me. I convinced myself I could buy it because I thought it was a good price.... and it was pretty/soft/yummy). I'm thinking a scarf because I don't know if I have enough for much else. Any ideas anyone?

Well I suppose that's all for now. Sorry there's not so much knitting content. I got another repeat done on the Snicket Socks and have knit a fair bit more on the lace scarf (it was my 6 hours in a train to and from a beer festival knit) but the pictures aren't all that exciting (at least not as exciting as Venice!).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was in Venice in April! Your pix brought back good memories. (I didn't see the yarn shop though...)