Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Year!

Well, 2009 is here. Can I have a do-over?

So far 2009 hasn't been the best. My computer completely died (along with a lot of the photos I wanted to show you). I did have the photos from the Autumn Coffee Swap on Flickr though! So without further ado (and only a month later, haha):

CIMG3590

CIMG3592

Thanks to Maria E. for a fantastic package! There was Starbucks coffee and cute little coasters, a yummy candy bar (which was gone later that day.. haha), cool sheep kleenex, and a bunch of yarn! It was great and all colors that are fun.

For the Winter Warm Ewe Up Swap, we were posited with the question of why we learned to knit. Here is my response:

The very first time I touched the needles was when I was 10. My dad and Grandma (Mom's mom) had been knitting, and I wanted to learn. I made it about 10 inches into a scarf before getting bored and giving up. Years later in my freshman year of college I was trying to figure out what to give my (then new) boyfriend for Christmas. He is the kind of guy who wants practical gifts, and I am the type who likes to give sentimental ones. So I was faced with the dilemma of trying to combine those seemingly opposing ideas. I realized though, that I could knit him a scarf! That would satisfy his want for a practical gift (a scarf is practical!), but also my need to make it have some sort of sentimental value (it's handmade by me!). I worked all Christmas break and gave it to him when I saw him next. He loved it! That began my interest. I knit a few dishcloths and potholders, but not too much. As I was studying in Europe my Junior year of college, I became bored on the long train rides to visit my boyfriend. We went to a store and found some yarn and needles, and I was able to knit him another scarf. When I came back to the US I went to my first LYS and picked up a pattern for an afghan which kept my interest long enough to get me back to Europe. I then discovered socks and the internet knitting community and the rest is history!

I'm going to do a separate post for my 2009 knitting resolutions, so that's all for now. Hopefully my boyfriend will continue to allow me to use his computer until I can figure something out with mine (or get a new one).

Happy 2009 everyone!

No comments: